Friday, September 2, 2011

When I thought about taking the Arts of Africa course I realized that I knew almost nothing about it. I knew a little about Egyptian Art, but that is so small in comparison to the size of Africa. In our first class meeting we were asked to discuss our thoughts on African Art. My first thought was that Africa is a very large, HUGE, place filled with lots of diversity in culture, religion, and beliefs. So African Art must reflect the differences and similarities to other African Art depending on the place its location. I also tried to imagine African Art and thought perhaps the older more traditional art might reflect some similarities to Native American Art.  Yet there would be even larger differences to contemporary African Art.


In our first two weeks of class we learned a lot about the Dogon Art and people. The use traditional practices of dance partly for their heritage and culture, but also to entertain tourists. Some of their artwork such as the wood carved sculptures used in their masks and headgear for their dances are not thought about as art to the African people, but rather as a key component in a necessary piece of their costume, and more of a job or skill than an object of beauty.


After these first two weeks of class I realize there is a lot to discuss about African Art. All of the architecture, costumes and masks, carved figures, pottery, sculptures, and clothing/fabric, and performance art really seems overwhelming to think about.  I'm very excited to learn more about African Art as the course continues.











1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing more development and in-depth analyses of topics discussed in class and readings in your future posts.

    ReplyDelete